Free C2C pattern Puffin
Free C2C crochet pattern
Puffin (55 x 65 graph)
Rare Cute Animals
On a desktop computer, click the graph to open the full-size image, then right-click and choose “Save image as.” On mobile, tap and hold the image to save it to your device.
I have never actually seen a puffin in real life. Not at a zoo, and not even when we were on holiday in England, where there are places where you can spot them. Apparently, puffins and I are very good at missing each other!
Which is a shame, because I think they are absolutely adorable. Their colourful beaks, funny little faces and tiny bodies make them one of those animals that are just impossible not to love.
So, even though I haven't managed to see a real puffin yet, I decided I could at least design one! And this little guy is the result.
I wanted to keep this puffin cute and fairly simple, without using too many colours. The colourful beak is definitely my favourite part! I also added a soft pink detail to give it a little extra character.
I hope you enjoy making this cute puffin!
- 3.0 mm hook
- darning needle to weave in ends
- DK yarn
- scissors
- optional: stitch markers
The 55 x 65 grid contains 3,575 squares in total. Here is the number of squares for each colour:
New to C2C?
These tutorials may help:
C2C Tutorials
Fun Facts About Puffins
1. Puffins have colourful beaks!
One of the puffin's most recognisable features is its bright, colourful beak. During the breeding season, the beak becomes especially vibrant. After the breeding season, puffins shed parts of the outer layer of their beak, making it look smaller and much duller.
2. They can carry several fish at once.
Puffins are surprisingly good at catching fish. They can hold multiple small fish in their beak at the same time while continuing to catch more. Thanks to special rough structures inside their mouths, the fish don't simply slide out!
3. Puffins can fly incredibly fast.
A puffin may look a little clumsy on land, but it is a speedy flyer. Its wings can beat around 400 times per minute! They use this rapid wing movement to stay airborne and can reach speeds of around 80 km/h (50 mph).
4. They are excellent swimmers.
Puffins don't just fly through the air—they can “fly” underwater too! They use their wings to propel themselves through the water while using their feet to steer. They can dive surprisingly deep to catch fish.
5. Puffins usually mate for life.
Puffins are known for forming long-term partnerships. A pair will often return to the same nesting area year after year and may use the same burrow. They usually lay just one egg, so both parents take turns looking after their chick.
6. Baby puffins have a very cute name.
A baby puffin is called a puffling! Pufflings are covered in soft, fluffy feathers and stay in their underground nest until they are ready to venture out into the world. When they finally leave the nest, they usually head out to sea on their own.
FAQ
FAQ
Can I sell finished projects made from this pattern?
Yes! Feel free to sell finished C2C Puffin projects made from this pattern. I would really appreciate it if you credited Kate's Cozy Crochet as the pattern designer.
Can beginners make this pattern?
If you're already familiar with the basics of corner-to-corner (C2C) crochet, this pattern is beginner-friendly. If you're completely new to C2C, I recommend checking out my C2C tutorials before starting.
©Kate's Cozy Crochet
.png)
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment