Free Crochet Pattern No-Sew Octopus

 

Free Crochet Pattern
No-Sew Octopus



About this Pattern:
I first made these little octopuses when I wanted to give my students a small goodbye present. I was going on maternity leave halfway through the school year, so I made an octopus for each of my students to take home. They were a big hit!

I also make these octopuses quite often as bingo prizes in my classroom. They are always very popular with the students, and there is usually a lot of excitement when an octopus is one of the prizes. They are small and quick to make, and they don't use much yarn, so they are perfect if you want to make a whole bunch of them.

And of course, I couldn't resist keeping one for myself. I have one hanging from my laptop bag, where it has been my little crochet companion ever since.

The best part about this pattern is that the tentacles are crocheted directly onto the body. This means you don't have to sew eight separate tentacles onto the octopus afterward. You only need a needle at the very end to close the small opening at the bottom.

I used safety eyes that I bought from AliExpress, but you can use any safety eyes you have on hand. If you're making the octopus for a young child, I recommend embroidering the eyes instead.

Materials:
  • 3.5 mm hook
  • DK yarn
  • Darning needle
  • Stuffing
  • Safety eyes

Abbreviations (US Terms):

MC = magic circle
sc = single crochet
inc = increase
dec = decrease (I like to use the invisible decrease.)
ch = chain
FLO = front loop only
BLO = back loop only

Size:
The finished size will depend on your yarn weight, hook size, and tension. Using a 3.5 mm hook and DK-weight yarn, these octopuses measure approximately 6 cm (2.36 inches) across at the widest point, including the tentacles.

Pattern:
Work in continuous rounds.

R1: 6 sc in MC (6)
R2: 6 inc (12)
R3: (1 sc, inc) × 6 (18)
R4: (2 sc, inc) × 6 (24)
R5–9: 24 sc (24)
R10: (2 sc, dec) × 6 (18)
R11:
Start with FLO 1 sc.

We will now start working on the tentacles, all in the FLO:
1 sc, ch 9. Starting in the second chain from the hook, 8 inc. Work 1 sc in the next FLO on the body.

Repeat tentacles 3 more times, for a total of 4 tentacles.

FLO 1 sc.

Then repeat the following 4 more times:

FLO 1 sc, ch 9. Starting in the second chain from the hook, make 8 inc. Work 1 sc in the next FLO on the body.

Now you should have eight tentacles.




Insert safety eyes if desired.
Please note there are two slightly larger spaces between the tentacles, because you made an extra sc there. These spaces should be the sides of your octopus.

Start stuffing.



R12: Using the BLO of Round 10, (1 sc, dec) × 6 (12). For this round, I prefer using a regular decrease instead of an invisible decrease, as it's easier to work into the BLO.
R13: 6 dec (6)

Finish stuffing.

Fasten off, leaving a tail long enough to sew the hole closed. I like to put the needle through the centre of the closed hole, pull it out on the opposite side of the octopus and give a gentle tug. This will flatten the bottom of the octopus.

Weave in the end.





Finished your project?
Thank you for crocheting my No-Sew Octopus! I hope it brings a smile to your face. If you make one, I'd love to see it on Instagram. Tag @katescozycrochet so I can admire your work and share it with the crochet community.


This pattern is for personal use only. Please do not copy, redistribute, or sell the pattern itself. You are welcome to sell finished items made using this pattern. Credit to Kate's Cozy Crochet as the pattern designer is always appreciated.

You might also like:











©Kate's Cozy Crochet


Comments

Populair posts

Free crochet pattern No-Sew Mushroom Bag Charm

Free No-Sew crochet pattern Beaded Flower Bookmark

Free crochet pattern C2C Dachshund