Free C2C crochet pattern Halloween Dachshund

Free C2C crochet pattern
Halloween Dachshund:
Halloweenerdog (50 x 50 graph)

Since I love dachshunds so much, there had to be another C2C pattern for one. Then, one night, I was brainstorming, and it came to me: Halloween + wienerdog = Halloweenerdog. Obviously. ;)

In the Netherlands, Halloween isn't that big. Some people do celebrate it, though. When I was a kid, it wasn't really a thing at all. But now I might get to celebrate it with my son when he's just a little older.

There's not a lot of trick-or-treating where we live, but sometimes there are Halloween parties or optochten (parades) for the kids. And who knows? Maybe Halloweenerdog will become part of our Halloween decorations someday!

How to download the graph:
On a desktop computer, click the graph to open the full-size image, then right-click and choose “Save image as.” On mobile, tap and hold the image to save it to your device.


About the pattern:
This 50x50 C2C pattern features a dachshund dressed as a witch. I kept the design fairly simple, so you can use it for more than just a Halloween project. Make it into a cushion cover, tote bag, wall hanging, or even use it as part of a larger blanket.
The background is up to you. I think a dark or purple background would look especially nice for Halloween, but you can choose any colour that matches your project.

Materials:
  • 3.0 mm hook
  • darning needle to weave in ends
  • DK yarn
  • scissors
  • optional: stitch markers

Yarn colours:
Black
White
Grey
Purple
Yellow
Brown
Any colour you wish to use for the background. Pics below for inspo.

Colour Counts:
The 50 x 50 grid contains 2,500 squares in total. Here is the number of squares for each colour:
Black: 465
White: 8
Grey: 347
Purple: 237
Yellow: 12
Brown: 112
Background: 1319

The colour counts tell you how many squares of each colour are used in the graph. They don't tell you exactly how much yarn you'll need, as this can vary depending on your yarn, hook size and tension.

Size:
With a 3.0 mm hook and DK yarn, for me this works up to about 72 x 72 cm (28 x 28 inches). But, this may vary depending on your yarn weight, hook size, and tension.
Gauge: 5 rows measure approximately 6 cm (2.3 inches).


New to C2C?
These tutorials may help:

Fun Facts About Halloween and Dachshunds

Since I made a Halloween Dachshund, I thought it would be fun to look up a few facts about Halloween and dachshunds. Some of these surprised me!

  • Halloween wasn't always about pumpkins and costumes. Halloween has its roots in an old Celtic festival called Samhain, which marked the end of the harvest and the beginning of winter. I think the modern version with pumpkins, costumes and lots of candy is a little more cheerful! 

  • Dachshunds were once used as war mascots. During World War I, dachshunds became strongly associated with Germany, which made them unpopular in some countries. In the United States, some people even started calling them “liberty hounds” instead. I had never heard of that before!

  • People have been dressing up for Halloween for a very long time. The tradition of wearing costumes goes back to older Halloween customs, when people would disguise themselves to avoid being recognised by spirits. So dressing up your dachshund isn't such a strange idea after all! 

  • Dachshunds really do have a very long spine. Their long back is part of what makes them so recognisable, but it also means they can be more prone to back problems. I think we can all agree that a dachshund deserves some extra care when it comes to jumping off the sofa!

  • Jack-o'-lanterns were originally made from turnips. I honestly can't imagine carving a turnip into a spooky face! In Ireland and Scotland, people traditionally used turnips and other root vegetables before pumpkins became popular. Pumpkins are definitely easier to work with.


FAQ

Can I make this C2C Halloweenerdog with a different yarn weight?
Yes, definitely! Keep in mind that using a different yarn weight can change the finished size of your project quite a bit. I recommend making a small swatch first to see how your yarn and hook combination affects the size before starting the entire project.

Can I sell finished projects made from this pattern?
Yes! Feel free to sell finished C2C Halloweenerdog projects made from this pattern. I would really appreciate it if you credited Kate's Cozy Crochet as the pattern designer.

Share your project
I'd love to see your finished project! Tag me on Instagram @katescozycrochet so I can share your beautiful makes. If you enjoyed this free pattern, feel free to browse my other free crochet designs.




You might also like:





C2C Puffin (55x65)




©Kate's Cozy Crochet



Comments

Populair posts

Free crochet pattern No-Sew Mushroom Bag Charm

Free crochet pattern C2C Dachshund

Free No-Sew crochet pattern Beaded Flower Bookmark