Review Crochet Impkins
Review
Crochet Impkins
by Megan Lapp. Creator of Crafty Intentions.
Crochet Impkins by Megan Lapp, creator of Crafty Intentions, is a crochet book for making all kinds of cute and unusual Impkins. If you enjoy amigurumi and like the idea of creating your own characters instead of making the exact same thing every time, this book might be something for you.
I bought this book about two months ago, and even though I don't have a lot of time for crocheting with a young son, I've already made two Impkins and I'm almost finished with my third. So I've had plenty of time to try out the patterns and see how the book works in practice.
I would say this book is best suited for more experienced crocheters. Some of the stitches are quite complicated and can be a little unusual if, like me, you haven't come across them before. Luckily, the book has a Glossary of Terms and Stitches at the beginning, where each stitch is explained step by step. I definitely needed this section while making my Impkins!
The instructions in both the glossary and the actual patterns are easy to follow. The only thing I find a little unfortunate is that there are no photos in the glossary to show you what the more unusual stitches should look like. The written instructions are good, but with some of these slightly crazy stitches, a photo would have made things even easier.
What do you get when you buy this book?
The book is essentially a thick, magazine-style publication with 175 pages, packed with instructions for creating all kinds of different Impkins.
The fun thing about this book is that you don't just get patterns for a few finished characters. Instead, you get patterns for all the different parts of an Impkin, which you can mix and match to create your own unique character.
You can follow one of Megan's examples, or let your imagination run wild and come up with your own combination.
The book is divided into different chapters, including:
Impkin body styles (7)
Antennae (4)
Belly styles (4)
Ears (11)
Hats and hairstyles (21)
...and much more!
There are so many different options that you can make a lot of Impkins without them all looking the same. You simply choose the body, ears, belly, hairstyle, and other features you like, and start crocheting.
The photos
The book is filled with beautiful, colourful photographs. There are photos of the finished Impkins, but also photos showing parts of the creation process.
I really like this, because it gives you something to compare your work with while you're crocheting and helps you see whether you're on the right track.
The photos also give you plenty of inspiration. Some of the Impkins in the book are completely adorable, and seeing all the different combinations definitely makes you want to start making your own.
The Glossary
As I mentioned above, there is a Glossary of Terms and Stitches at the beginning of the book.
This is a very useful section, especially because some of the stitches used in the patterns are quite unusual. The instructions are clear and explained step by step, so you can learn how to make the stitches even if you haven't used them before.
I definitely recommend keeping the glossary nearby while making your first Impkin.
The only thing I find a little disappointing is that there are no photos showing the stitches in the glossary. With some of the more unusual stitches, it would have been nice to see what the finished stitch is supposed to look like.
That said, the written instructions are good, and I was able to follow them.
Are the patterns easy to follow?
Yes! Once you get used to the unusual stitches, I find the patterns themselves very well written.
The instructions are clear and I haven't had any trouble following the actual construction of the Impkins. The fact that you can choose different body parts also makes the whole process quite fun.
There are some mistakes in the book that were discovered after publication. Luckily, Crafty Intentions has an errata page where you can find the corrections.
I recommend checking the errata before starting a pattern, just to make sure you are working with the most up-to-date instructions.
Errata
My experience
I've made two Impkins so far and I'm almost finished with my third. What I really enjoy is that you aren't just following a pattern and ending up with exactly the same character as everyone else.
You get to make choices along the way, and that makes every Impkin a little different.
I also like that there are so many possibilities in one book. You could make several Impkins and still have plenty of different combinations to try.
One thing I would keep in mind is that this isn't a book I would recommend if you're looking for very simple and quick amigurumi patterns. Some of the stitches take a bit of concentration, and I think having some crochet experience will make the book much more enjoyable.
A little tip about the eyes
For my Impkins, I would recommend using 18 mm "glass" eyes instead of the standard black plastic safety eyes.
I think they give the Impkins a much more mystical appearance and really suit their slightly strange and magical look.
Would I recommend this book?
Yes, especially if you enjoy amigurumi and like experimenting with your crochet.
I really like the idea behind this book. Instead of simply following a pattern from beginning to end, you get to choose the different features and create a character that is completely your own.
I would recommend it more to experienced crocheters, though. The unusual stitches can be challenging, and I think beginners might find some of them a bit frustrating.
For me, the huge variety of options and the freedom to mix and match the different parts are what make this book so much fun.
Where can you buy Crochet Impkins?
You can find this book on Amazon. For my fellow Dutchies, you can also buy it on bol.com.
I purchased this book myself, and this review is based on my own experience. This review is not sponsored.
Happy crocheting!



Comments
Post a Comment